NOCO ESS / SAR is still in its startup phase and we hope to be going operational in 2016.
When NOCO ESS / SAR was initially founded the idea was to provide SAR services to rural areas where they did not exist, as planning and training began it was discovered that there was a distinct need for other services besides SAR and in a greater area than just rural areas. Through the training process and discussing with officials what the needs were in their areas we discovered that a much broader range of services could be useful to the community. In August of 2015 we found out there was another agency in Boulder County offering a broad range of service to the community, Longmont Emergency Unit (LEU). LEU was kind enough to assist us in getting many of our administrative and logistical hurdles overcome. LEU’s Mission being similar to what we were trying to accomplish they became a mentor and model for us as we have grown and we are greatly appreciative of the assistance they have provided.
Northern Colorado Emergency Service Support/ Search & Rescues mission is to provide additional manpower and technical assets to Northern Colorado emergency service professionals by doing any task that is within our capabilities to make existing emergency services more efficient, safe, and effective at various events, accidents, and disasters. Some of the ways we have of doing this and there benefits are:
- Traffic Control at accident scenes
- Traffic Control for major incidents and events
- Fire Support / Rehab
- Support on the scene of structural and wild land fires by providing hot and cold beverages, snacks, and heated and cooled quarters for personnel to recover from the elements during major incidents as well as providing traffic and crowd control on the scene to relieve law enforcement and allow officers to continue normal duties.
- Aerial Fire Support
- Aerial Law Enforcement Support
- Ability to use our Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) platforms to get high resolution aerial images for accident reconstruction, crime scene documentation, and hazmat assessment. Platform may also be used to assist with perimeter security on SWAT callouts, assist with locating hidden suspects, searching for lost individuals, or any other use where an aerial view and or thermal imaging is needed.
- Colorado Life Trak
- Team has individuals trained on operation of Colorado Life Trak, enabling expedited location of lost or missing persons who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, autism, dementia, or other disorders that may prohibit them from communicating personal information such as who they are or where they live.
- Dive and Swiftwater Rescue (shore support)
- Rope Rescue
- Specialized Communications
- Every team member is required to hold a valid FCC Amateur Radio License (minimum technician class). This enables the team to have communications capabilities not typically available to public safety personnel. Team members can access repeater system, operate high frequency radios capable of worldwide communications, install temporary repeaters in dead zones during disasters, use satellite communication devices, and pass critical radio traffic to and from locations where public safety communications will not work.
- SAR and Specialized Team Tracking (operational late 2016 or when funding becomes available)
- Using a system called APRS or Automated Position Reporting System we can track separate teams in remote locations. this is accomplished by giving each field team a remote transmitter the size of a cell phone, these transmitters then relay their location back to a mobile command post and displays the location of each team on a map displayed on a monitor. this allows incident commanders to have real time data on team locations and better plan and manage field assets. this is especially useful for search and rescue but could also be used for tactical teams and community events.
All the above capabilities come from a 100% volunteer team, on call 24/7. We plan on expanding our assets and upgrading our equipment as our organization grows. With the assets we currently have we have the ability to respond and assist with a wide assortment of incidents and events. The list above is just a few ways NOCO ESS / SAR can be utilized.